Top 5 Songs of 2013

12:39 AM

Disclaimer: Not all these songs are from 2013, however they were special and important to me in 2013 and that's why they made this list. I hope that doesn't ruin the list for ya..


5. FU - Miley Cyrus


In such an iconic, life changing year for Miley's career, a year when We Can't Stop and Wrecking Ball were everywhere and the jokes were infinite (as well as the "she's effing genius" realizations), my favorite song off her album was FU, a song so theatrical and angsty that it would fit perfectly into a Broadway musical. Personally, I think it's the most creative, original and catchy of all the Bangerz's songs and I would have loved it to be a single. As much as I haven't approved every one of her moves this year, this song is amazing. I love the beat, the rhythm and the "two-ho-ho letters for you". I've solely listened to this song for hours and I have yet to get tired of it. 

Also, if you're in need of a cathartic break-up song, give this a try. It's a winner. Or even if you just wanna say FU to any idiot in your life, really. It gets all those feelings out and you feel very empowered afterwords.


4. Dear Marie - John Mayer



I've grown up as a John Mayer fan. As much as he is an asshole at times and he has said many, many wrong and weird things, his songs and lyrics are everything I love. He is the one single artist I have the most song on my iPod. Not only that but I have multiples of the same song because they are different versions and all of them are incredible
With this song he wrote to one of his teenage loves, he has melted my heart and made me cry from the first listen. This song makes me reminisce on who I was when I was 15 and question my own life choices. Wonder if the people who liked me and were proud of me when I was 15 would still love and be proud of me today. Wonder if I lost myself along the way or if this is just how growing up feels like. John makes me feel nursed and uncomfortable at the same time with these lyrics. And I can see he has the same trip I do when he sings these painful and beautiful words. Because he got his dream but I guess it got away from him.


3. Shouldn't Come Back - Demi Lovato



I have not always loved Demi. But I've always loved her songs and her ability with songwriting. Her wording comes in a simple, emotional and beautiful way. Though "Unbroken" sounded like a disaster, she redeemed herself with "DEMI" and gave us a perfectly well executed pop album. Shouldn't Come Back is my favorite one of the album. It's simple and painful. Initially it sounds like a heartbreak song. But if you actually pay attention, you may notice that it's really a song to her father. 
I won't say much about the problems Demi and her father have experienced as, really, we don't know much about it, but she has a couple songs on it and mentioned in interviews before that they didn't have the greatest of father-daughter bonds. This song basically demonstrates how much he hurt her and how much she's scared of going back to that relationship, of the pain it might bring back. Her father passed away this year, which only makes this song that much heavier. 

However, the emotional charge she gives to the song, the simplicity, the lyrics, her powerful voice and the secrecy of this song, never sung live and never mentioned in any interviews, makes it all so special.


2. Make You Feel My Love - Adele



Yes, I'm aware that this is really a Bob Dylan song. Really, it's to represent Adele as a whole. I also know I'm late to the bandwagon, but at least I got here ok? Adele is magnificent. An artist too incredible for this time and day. I'm mind blown that her brilliant albums were made when she was 19 and 21 years old. The woman's voice is ridiculous and she makes every song perfect. I'm in love and excited for her new album. 

This song, particularly, fits my feelings right now like a glove and it's quite painful to listen to, but isn't that how we love to live? Listening to the songs that pain us the most? The lyrics, as most Dylan ones, are flawless and Adele's voice only makes the song more special. This is actually one of my all time favorites, really.


1. All Too Well - Taylor Swift



"Maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much, or maybe this thing was a master piece till you tore it all up. Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well. You call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest. I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here, 'cause I remember it all too well."

I love this song. I love this song more than I love a lot of things. The lyrics are incredibly well thought of, an extreme upgrade from her previous work and, specially the above ones, feel incredibly real. No matter how much bitching people do against Taylor, the girl is an impressive storyteller. This song leads you through the relationship perfectly, you can imagine the moments and the pain and the love. You can identify yourself flashbacking to your own favorite moments. You remember it all too well as much as she does. Taylor puts your feeling into words better than anyone else, she builds up the tension and she translates the pain exactly as it is, and it's mesmerizing. 

I have no idea how many times I've listened to this song but every single one of them did not leave me the same way. I have felt all the pain, I have remembered, I have loved, I have cried, I have yelled every lyric with all the strength I have. I have felt what she is singing about with all my body. And it helped me heal and love and feel. It helped me understand that what I was going through was normal and I'm not the only one to ever feel like this. It made me realize it's not crazy to still remember everything so strongly. 

"You keep my old scarf from that very first week, 'cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me."

I identified with this song, like many other girls probably did too, I've listened to it all year with the same amount of love and it explains the pain I feel right now to an exceedingly accurate level. For all those things, it's my number one. However, I'd like to give an honorary mention to the acoustic version of State of Grace, from the Deluxe Edition of the Red album, because it's so much more lovely than the official version and the lyrics to that song make my heart cry.

I'm sorry if I actually suck talking about music. I don't really know any technical things about music, I just wrote how I feel about them, really. So I'm very sorry if it made no sense. Hope it's still okay, though.

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images